Studio One

How to use B-Step Sequencer in your DAW - Ableton, BitWig, Cubase, Logic, Renoise, REAPER, Energy XT2, Studio One, Cakewalk Sonar, USINE or FL Studio.
Monoman

Studio One

Post by Monoman » 08 Dec 2014, 02:29

I've just figured out how to set up B-Step with Studio One v2.

The first way is with B-Step controlling a single stereo output synth. In this case I have used DuneCM in my song template but you can replace that with whatever you like. It uses 4 channels from B-Step to play the one instance of the synth. Or you could load up 4 separate Dunes being controlled by the one B-Step with different sounds. Or 4 entirely different synths altogether.

The second way is with B-Step controlling a multi-timbral and multi-output synth such as Korg M1 in this instance. I have routed the 4 independent channels to 4 outputs that can be muted/soloed individually.

Studio One works a little different to other DAW setups. Not wrong or right, with its own advantages/disadvantages.

You use the inhost midi routing in Studio One so no need of other midi drivers, for a start. Other than that it is pretty simple to set up.

One of the really cool things is how easy it is to record the output of B-Step into your arrangement. You just basically hit the record button (after arming your tracks you want recorded of course) and press play and watch it record the midi in in real time. On all four channels at once if you like.

Anyway, that is the theory. These two templates should be enough to get you hooked up and things working.
Attachments
STUDIO ONE TEMPLATES.rar
(57.37 KiB) Downloaded 150 times

Monoman

Re: Studio One: How to get B-Step Sequencer running

Post by Monoman » 05 Feb 2015, 01:38

This is a new template for Studio One that triggers four different synths on four different midi channels. All independently so you can mute individual tracks. You can do many other routings of course, but this is just one example.

I have used four instances of Dune CM with different patches, but there is no reason why you can't use totally different synths of your choice.

You can get Dune CM by buying a recent copy of Computer Music magazine.

Here is a screenshot of the setup:

Here is the file:
B-Step-MULTI-4-TRACK.zip
(141.12 KiB) Downloaded 146 times
The advantage to this setup is that you now have four totally different synths with totally different sounds. In the previous example template, it was just the one synth being triggered by B-Step, even though B-Step was using four different channels and sequences to trigger that sound. Sometimes this is exactly what you want, sometimes this new one.

Don't forget that you can mute tracks 1-4 from B-Step, with it almost acting like a real mixing desk. This is just another paradigm for B-Step, with many different ways to use this plugin.

mps1user

Re: Studio One

Post by mps1user » 08 Aug 2018, 08:23

Hi, i made some video how i setup B-Step in Studio One. Maybe it's useful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A6onN7xCWWA

Thank you.
Attachments
B-Step.rar
(85.02 KiB) Downloaded 15 times