Ableton Midi and Audio Recorder - template

How to use B-Step Sequencer in your DAW - Ableton, BitWig, Cubase, Logic, Renoise, REAPER, Energy XT2, Studio One, Cakewalk Sonar, USINE or FL Studio.
Monoman

Ableton Midi and Audio Recorder - template

Post by Monoman » 11 Feb 2015, 00:30

[EDIT: YOU MIGHT WANT TO USE THIS TEMPLATE IF YOU HAVE MADE TRACKS WITH THE LOOPBE1 MIDI DRIVER AND HAVE NOT BEEN ABLE TO RENDER/EXPORT TO FILE]

This is a template I made a while ago and never got around to putting up.

With this template you will be able to record midi in in real time to a fixed length bar loop.
Also you can do the same but overdubbing on the same loop. Watch it record over and over in real time.

Plus, you will be able to record the output of your synths/drums in real time to an Audio track, once armed.
The Audio record track is next to the Midi record track, so select whichever one you want.

B-Step is triggering 4 independent synths on 4 different midi channels. You can mute each MIDI channel from B-Step and watch it function like a traditional mixing desk. All this can be recorded in in real time with this template.

B-STEP-MIDI-+-AUDIO-RECORD template Project.zip
(618.28 KiB) Downloaded 145 times

I'm putting it out there now for some ADVANCED, or not so advanced users to be able to use the loopbe1 midi driver to record INTERNALLY into Ableton on they fly in real time.

You can use the internal host routing if you prefer and this template will still work.

You can either record the midi in in real time and watch it scroll magically across your screen as it overwrites or overdubs (depending on your settings). Or you can not use the midi input and just use the Audio recorder to record the output in real time from the synths/drums you trigger with B-Step.

I have used internal Ableton synths/drums, so it should just work out the box.

This isn't just a workaround, it is a creative template that can be used for many different things and ways of working.

If you need help, just ask.

I will post some videos of it in action later and you can see the sheer raw power of B-Step in action. Yes, there are some issues at the moment between using the loopbe1 and the internal host drivers. But the great thing about this template is: If you have used the loopbe1 driver to make a track and you can't get it to render (loopbe1 does not render to file), you can very very easily now, just record that output internally inside Ableton.

But recording the midi in is also a lot of fun and can take advantage of many of the different functions in B-Step. I will split this file in two later on. One for midi and one for audio, for now, please just take it as a bit of a taster as to what can be done. And yeah, by all means use it as a workaround for recording audio that otherwise would not render externally.

Btw, there is no reason why you can't change the loopbe1 midi driver to internal host and still do the same creatively with what this template has to offer.

Any problems, post here. Any questions, just ask. For all the little niggles I've had getting this to work, I will say, the combination of B-Step with Ableton is KILLER. It is insanely powerful. Videos to show what this template can do in the midi and audio domain coming soon.

Monoman

Re: Ableton Midi and Audio Recorder - template

Post by Monoman » 11 Feb 2015, 00:32

Monoman

Post by Monoman » 11 Feb 2015, 00:32

Monoman

Post by Monoman » 11 Feb 2015, 00:51

This template works for both Ableton 8 and 9.

In Ableton 9, the recording is implemented slightly differenty, but it should be apparent what to do as instructions are included in the template itself.

Just select whether you want to write once on the first scene for a loop of fixed length, or overdub on the second scene where it will keep overwriting till you stop.

This one template works for both programs.

In Ableton 9:

You select whether you want to record or overdub (NEVER MIND THAT IT SAYS FOR 8 - IT STILL WORKS):

You do this by pressing the '0' on the transport bar above (just to the left of 'NEW'):

If you want to record the midi output of B-Step into the Audio track, then arm the audio track instead:

This works also for Ableton 8 as well.

Don't forget these templates are for the loopbe1 midi driver setup. But you can easily change it to work with the internal host routing. It just takes a few small tweaks. I'll include the templates for the Internal Host routing later on when I get time.