FL Studio

How to use B-Step Sequencer in your DAW - Ableton, BitWig, Cubase, Logic, Renoise, REAPER, Energy XT2, Studio One, Cakewalk Sonar, USINE or FL Studio.
monotomy

FL Studio

Post by monotomy » 28 Feb 2014, 10:35

This is a quick (10 step) how to get b-step sequencer connected to an other VST plugin in FL Studio.

1) First you have to copy b-step into any folder on your computer or to the default VST folder.
(We have copied b-step (the sequencer) and Micromoon (the synthesizer) to "c:\Users\me\Desktop\My VST folder")

2) We have to choose this folder in FL Studio as additional search path for VST plugins.
how-to-midi-plugin-fl-studio_1.png
how-to-midi-plugin-fl-studio_2.png
how-to-midi-plugin-fl-studio_2.png (54.96 KiB) Viewed 9294 times
how-to-midi-plugin-fl-studio_3.png
how-to-midi-plugin-fl-studio_3.png (58.72 KiB) Viewed 9294 times
3) Then we search for new VST plugins.
how-to-midi-plugin-fl-studio_4.png
how-to-midi-plugin-fl-studio_4.png (116.12 KiB) Viewed 9294 times
how-to-midi-plugin-fl-studio_5.png
how-to-midi-plugin-fl-studio_5.png (32.73 KiB) Viewed 9294 times
4) Add the found b-step to favorites.
how-to-midi-plugin-fl-studio_7.png
how-to-midi-plugin-fl-studio_7.png (28.05 KiB) Viewed 9294 times
5) Add a synthesizer to favorites (same like point 4).
how-to-midi-plugin-fl-studio_8.png
how-to-midi-plugin-fl-studio_8.png (28.07 KiB) Viewed 9294 times
6) Load b-step VST plugin from the favorites (VST wrapper).
how-to-midi-plugin-fl-studio_9.png
how-to-midi-plugin-fl-studio_9.png (122.99 KiB) Viewed 9294 times
7) Go to settings and change Input port and Output port to 1 for b-step.
(Input you only need if you like to control b-step by an other MIDI device or if you like to use the sequencer with a Novation Launchpad.)
how-to-midi-plugin-fl-studio_10.png
how-to-midi-plugin-fl-studio_10.png (85.04 KiB) Viewed 9294 times
how-to-midi-plugin-fl-studio_11.png
how-to-midi-plugin-fl-studio_11.png (72.84 KiB) Viewed 9294 times
how-to-midi-plugin-fl-studio_12.png
how-to-midi-plugin-fl-studio_12.png (72.83 KiB) Viewed 9294 times
8) Load the synthesizer from the favorites.
how-to-midi-plugin-fl-studio_13.png
how-to-midi-plugin-fl-studio_13.png (153.05 KiB) Viewed 9294 times
9) Go to settings and change Input port to 1 for the synthesizer.
The synthesizer and the sequencer is now ready. B-step will send it's MIDI notes to the synthesizer.
how-to-midi-plugin-fl-studio_14.png
how-to-midi-plugin-fl-studio_14.png (276.93 KiB) Viewed 9294 times
how-to-midi-plugin-fl-studio_15.png
how-to-midi-plugin-fl-studio_15.png (98.97 KiB) Viewed 9294 times

10) Final steps: enable some steps and press play.
how-to-midi-plugin-fl-studio_17.png
how-to-midi-plugin-fl-studio_17.png (227.72 KiB) Viewed 9294 times
how-to-midi-plugin-fl-studio_18.png
how-to-midi-plugin-fl-studio_18.png (229.05 KiB) Viewed 9294 times
Enjoy!
Monoplugs - Unique Music Software

Monoman

Re: FL Studio: how to get b-step sequencer running.

Post by Monoman » 30 Nov 2014, 03:47

Hi.

I don't seem to be able to get B-Step working in FLStudio 11, with it being able to independently control 4 separate midi channels.

It only sends on channel 1 and nothing else. I've played about with it for about six hours now and tried every available option I can find.

I can get it to control 2 synths no problem, but the midi options just seem to not work in an independent manner. They both play the same thing coz they ony are triggered on channel 1, that is to say they only make a sound when the midi is set to channel 1. So if I set the option for it to send on 2 as well, the synths can not recieve on that channel.

I can set the midi out to any channel in B-Step and it still always sends only on channel 1 with no other channels transmitting. The midi inputs of the synths have to be set to 1 or there is no sound. In other words, the options are totally useless and don't work.

Obviously I'm doing something wrong, or maybe not, perhaps it is a bug of some kind. I've searched the net far and wide and can find no tutorials at all on how to set this up to independently control 4 different synths, in any DAW. I have 4 or 5 different ones but I just thought I would try FLStudio first.

I'm going to see if I can get it to work in Patcher in FLS.

Is there any chance you could set up a template or do a quick tutorial on how to achieve this? You say it is possible, but you do not explain it in the manual.

Thanks a lot.
Attachments
B-STEP_MIDI.rar
(7.67 KiB) Downloaded 149 times

Monoman

Post by Monoman » 30 Nov 2014, 04:17

I've tried it in Patcher and got it working with one channel, but I just don't see how this can independently control 4 synths. It only has one midi output! I'm really struggling with the logic behind this. I checked it in EnergyXt and the same - only one 'physical' midi output.

The midi channel settings also don't matter in patcher, it just plays.

I am totally confused now. I've loaded up the patches I made earlier today in Patcher and tried to route them to different synths, but I just don't see how it is possible. I think after six hours, it is time to admit defeat.

I've included another template for FLS with Patcher using B-Step and Sytrus, as much as I could get it working.
Attachments
B-STEP_PATCHER.rar
(4.68 KiB) Downloaded 149 times

monotomy

Post by monotomy » 30 Nov 2014, 11:40

Hi Monoman,

thanks for your request.

Sorry to say that, but not every DAW is able to handle multiple MIDI channels from a plugin. As i know FL mixes the MIDI out from B-Step to one MIDI channel (ignores the B-Step channel settings) and you're not able to use the 4 MIDI outs independently by this way.

But there is a workaround for advanced users.
You can also send the MIDI from B-Step directly to an MIDI port and route it back to FL Studio like the this video shows for Ableton live @1:15 (advanced setup) .

>> OPEN YOUTUBE IN A NEW TAB AND WATCH THIS VIDEO

On Windows you have to use LoopBe1 instead of the IAC driver (http://www.nerds.de/en/loopbe1.html)
I will write a general HowTo for this purpose (it's already in progress).

Another option is to use the B-Step Standalone version, sync it to FL Studio and rout the MIDI out from B-Step to FL.

Does this help?

Best

Monoman

Post by Monoman » 30 Nov 2014, 17:26

Hi monotomy. Thanks for the quick reply.

Yes, that does help. It's not a big deal to me. I will check out the video. I have Ableton 9 as well, and I will check out that driver.

The plus side is that I spent a lot more time getting to know B-Step. I have to admit I found it very hard to understand, but when it clicked with me, I just thought 'what an awesome tool'. I'll go back and just use it as it works in FLStudio. I can just add another instance of B-Step if I need it. Not the same, but still...

Btw, I read somewhere that there was a choice of colour schemes. Is that right? I couldn't find an option to change colours. The colour scheme is easy on the eyes, but I would like an option to change things. I've 'skinned' (not true skinning I know) EnergyXT and Ableton to my tastes and would like to do so with B-Step. I'd be happy to share what I come up with. Is it possible (I haven't had a deep look in the folders yet)?

This is an incredibly useful and fun tool. I really look forward to it getting better and better.

Thanks.

Monoman

Post by Monoman » 30 Nov 2014, 18:50

Wow. That was surprisingly easy!

Got it working great in Ableton 9.

I've included a song template for Ableton for this setup shown in the video, and I've included the B-Step project file as well that triggers the four tracks individually.

I've put them in the Ableton thread that shows you how to do this, here -
http://forum.monoplugs.com/viewtopic.ph ... 2165#p2165

Cool stuff.

Monoman

Post by Monoman » 30 Nov 2014, 20:32

Here is a song template for FLStudio 11. Two actually.

One is for setting it up in the usual way with the VSTi set to midi input port 1. I've used Sytrus here which I have bought. If you haven't bought Sytrus, it won't work. The reason being, the internal native FLStudio instruments do not respond to midi data, but rather voice data, so there is no way for B-Step to trigger any of them, as you can not set them to midi channel 1, not that it would matter anyway. I think that's right. I recall reading that somewhere. It seems to make sense, as I just could not get them to work. There is NO way to set a midi input port with these. You have to buy them and reload them so they will use the FL Wrapper. I even tried using the seperate FL Wrapper plugin and loading the synths, but I couldn't get it to work anyway.

If you have bought any other Image-Line synths like Harmor or Drumaxx etc, then use those versions (because they will be wrapped) whilst the internal ones will not. This goes for ALL the synths/drums included, even Wasp etc. The synths/drums you have bought, they have 'IL' in front of the name to distinguish them from the native versions, i.e. 'IL Harmor' as opposed to just 'Harmor'.

If you don't have Sytrus then use any other external VSTi. FLStudio will 'wrap' it and then you can select the midi input port.

It's a shame this doesn't work with controling four synths independently, but never mind. It's still pretty nice that you can control a few synths at one time from B-Step, without messing about and using a Layer Channel for example. It's a very straightforward and easy way to work when you know how.

I've also included a song template for triggering B-Step in Patcher. Here you CAN use ANY of the internal native synths/drums as I have demonstrated using Wasp for example. You still can't independently trigger four different synths/drums from one instance of B-Step, but that's how it is I guess.

You may need the latest version of Winrar to unzip the files, if you get any error messages.
Attachments
B-Step-FLS.rar
(13.97 KiB) Downloaded 153 times

monotomy

Post by monotomy » 02 Dec 2014, 09:02

Hi Monoman,
Monoman wrote:Btw, I read somewhere that there was a choice of colour schemes. Is that right? I couldn't find an option to change colours. The colour scheme is easy on the eyes, but I would like an option to change things. I've 'skinned' (not true skinning I know) EnergyXT and Ableton to my tastes and would like to do so with B-Step. I'd be happy to share what I come up with. Is it possible (I haven't had a deep look in the folders yet)?
We have removed the themes in 2.0, but we're working on a Styler for B-Step.
Monoman wrote: This is an incredibly useful and fun tool. I really look forward to it getting better and better.
Thanks! Send us a track please :-)

Good job you have done, thanks for your posts here.