B-Step: Installed several synths, but none work.

Nobody is perfect. Help us to improve B-Step Sequencer and report bugs and problems.
dea

B-Step: Installed several synths, but none work.

Post by dea » 01 Nov 2015, 04:40

B-Step 2
Windows 10
2.4Ghz Toshiba Satellite

B-Step Noob here. My attempts at selecting a synth other than the Microsoft one have not been fruitful.
Again, I can select the Microsoft Synth ok and it produces sound. However, I installed several stand alone synths; Arido2.1, Sonico2.1, Emultuition 6.3, Patagon 6.1 and they never show up in the list for MIDI out selections.

Thanks,
dea

dea

Re: B-Step: Installed several synths, but none work.

Post by dea » 01 Nov 2015, 06:22

I learned about virtual midi cable and installed, ipMidi. The port shows up correctly in both B-Step and two different Synths. Still not able to get sound when I play the sequence. It continues to work when I go straight to the Microsoft Synth. Will continue to investigate. If you have some info to offer, don't hesitate.

dea

Post by dea » 02 Nov 2015, 05:56

I got something working now. Very slick. I'm using a simple VST host to run the vst instruments and driving it with BStep.

A simple way to focus on learning BStep only. Launchpad mini is also working well.

monotomy

Post by monotomy » 02 Nov 2015, 10:00

Morning Dea,

as I see you found workaround. But still not working is the standalone, right?
Not sure about ipMidi, but I believe this will not work for your task (it's for MIDI connections via network). The right choice will be e.g. loobBe1 to connect virtual MIDI devices on Windows, see this thread: http://forum.monoplugs.com/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=666

Works?

Cheers
Thomas

dea

Post by dea » 02 Nov 2015, 19:28

Yes, the standalone version is working now. In order to focus on B-Step, and not the complexity of the DAW, I use B-Step with a simple VSTHost. I use LoopBe to setup the MIDI ports for B-Step out and VSTHost+VST in. Now I can manipulate the B-Step standalone and the VSTHost plays the correct sound based on the Instrument I load within the VST.

It is the VST B-Step I'm having trouble with. With that, I should be able to follow the same process from within a DAW and between B-Step and another VST; using LoopBe?

I need to play with this a bit more since I don't really have intelligable questions at this point. I spent all of the weekend goofing with B-Step and the VSTHost and was having so much darn fun that I didn't want to apply effort working on how to get B-Step working within a DAW and another VST.

Thanks so much. I really love this tool.

monotomy

Post by monotomy » 06 Nov 2015, 10:53

dea wrote:It is the VST B-Step I'm having trouble with. With that, I should be able to follow the same process from within a DAW and between B-Step and another VST; using LoopBe?
No, if you use B-Step as VST you have to route MIDI inside your DAW from B to a synth (no need for virtual ports for a basic setup).

Which DAW do you use? Not all DAW's have a good MIDI routing support and in some DAW's it is impossible to control the MIDI routings.