syncing with Auria.

Nobody is perfect. Help us to improve B-Step Sequencer and report bugs and problems.
Greenfly

syncing with Auria.

Post by Greenfly » 02 Jan 2015, 10:16

Hi

First of all, this is a great and very clever iPad app which I have spent some time learning how to use today.

I am able to create a nice sequence using B-step with an IOS synth. My question is how do I get my b-step sequence to play in time with other song elements that I have running in Auria.

Ideally I would like to press play in Auria and this would start my B-step sequence at the same time. Is this possible?

I think it has something to do with syncing midi clocks but I would appreciate a step by step instruction as to how this would be achieved as I am not an expert in this field.

If Auria isn't an option, I sometimes use Cubasis too if this helps.

Many thanks

monotomy

Re: syncing with Auria.

Post by monotomy » 02 Jan 2015, 12:59

Hi Greenfly,

it's possible with Auria.

Open B-Step's IO settings and create a virtual port at "Master Out (to Synth)" (should be done by default)
Screen Shot 2015-01-02 at 02.59.59.png
In Auria's IO settings and enable "App Background Audio Mode" (maybe a Auria restart is required)
Screen Shot 2015-01-02 at 03.00.16.png
Enable receive MIDI from B-Step (select the Auria "MIDI Settings-tab" (at the bottom))
Screen Shot 2015-01-02 at 03.00.22.png
Go back to B-Step and press start. B-Step is MIDI master and Auria slave - Auria should also start (if not restart both apps)
Screen Shot 2015-01-02 at 03.00.44.png
Screen Shot 2015-01-02 at 03.00.53.png
Works?

NOTE: during testing this I've found a bug in B-Step's Slave mode and it is not possible to run B-Step as slave.
This will be fixed with the next update.

Best

EDIT: To the B-Step slave bug: you can also run B-Step in slave mode by enabling sending clock to B-Step in Aurias MIDI IO settings, but you have to start Auria two times (then B-Step starts to play in slave mode)(don't forget to enable "Send MIDI Start Stop" in Aurias IO settings (see pic above))

Greenfly

Post by Greenfly » 02 Jan 2015, 21:09

Hello monotomy,

I have followed the above steps and have the two apps syncing up nicely now. I also set up the synth to auria using audiobus and was able to record the audio onto the track.

Thanks for taking the time to post up screenshots for me, it was greatly appreciated.

I have one more question which is slightly related:

I have tested the IPAD app with Ableton using midi over bluetooth and this seems to work well, however I have similar issues in that the timing between my tracks in Ableton are not synced up with when I press play on B-step.
Are there similar settings that need to be applied to Ableton so that when I press play in B-step it also starts the transport in Ableton?

Kind regards and thank you once again.

monotomy

Post by monotomy » 02 Jan 2015, 22:33

Hi Greenfly,

you're welcome.

Yes, you can sync Ableton Live to B-Step, please check this tutorial: https://www.ableton.com/de/articles/syn ... live-midi/ to run Ableton as slave (scroll to: "Synchronizing Live to an external sequencer").

This works also in the same way in both directions.

Works?

Best

Greenfly

Post by Greenfly » 03 Jan 2015, 12:42

Hello monotomy,

Thankyou so much. You have taught me so much about why I love music in your replies. :)

This is such an inspirational product for people who want to compose music that sounds as though it has been played in live, particularly if syncing with your DAW. The natural drift in midi notes as they are recorded will really humanise your musical idea and inject a natural groove into your performance and I would thoroughly recommend anyone to invest in this app should they come across this post.

Now I know how they do ratchets :-P

Kind regards

TonE

Post by TonE » 03 Jan 2015, 13:17

If you use the vst method, there should be no drifts, but of course there is always the 'quantize' feature in DAWs, for example Reaper can quantize directly during recording the output midi notes of a vst like b-step. Zero drift for sure. Ableton Live is a very quirky application for midi but many users seem not to care much, which is OK, freedom of choice. For example single midi channel output per track and nobody cares, they take this megabug as feature.

Greenfly

Post by Greenfly » 03 Jan 2015, 14:41

I contemplated buying the VST but the beauty of the IPAD app is the relative ease in which you can scroll through the different layers just using your fingers and making changes on the fly.

I don't like the robotic sound of strict quantization when punching in notes with a mouse or using a midi controller, like PUSH and I am not skilled enough to compose melodies by playing them in freestyle, and hence what I meant with regards to the midi drift imparting some groove to the overall feel of the musical phrase.

For sure the performance can be quantised should it be required :)

monotomy

Post by monotomy » 05 Jan 2015, 20:26

Greenfly wrote: Thankyou so much. You have taught me so much about why I love music in your replies. :)
You are welcome.
Greenfly wrote:I contemplated buying the VST but the beauty of the IPAD app is the relative ease in which you can scroll through the different layers just using your fingers and making changes on the fly.
NOTE: You can scroll through bars and layers with the arrow keys, if you have a keyboard. I think you need a big multi touch screen and the VST version too :1cheesy:

To the drift: maybe we need a very unstable clock as feature - "Human drift"

ZenLizard

Post by ZenLizard » 04 Mar 2015, 23:33

@monotomy,

I'm pretty new to B-Step 2. I only really started using it after the recent update. I just want to confirm... using Auria or Cubasis as clock/transport master and B-Step as slave will be possible after a future update? (without having to "start Auria twice")?

Since a DAW app is where I put songs together, I really prefer to control as much as possible from there (start, stop, pause, song position, rewind and clock master), but with Beat-Step I will need to solo and unsolo bars and change various settings on the fly while the track is recorded, so it seems to me the best setup would be to have the DAW app be the clock and transport master and to display a mini transport and app switcher in B-Step's UI when using AudioBus or IAA.

A really good example of this is the app named DrumPerfect. You can set up Auria as the master for clock and transport, and you can control it from within DrumPerfect's UI thanks to the little bar that displays when AudioBus or IAA is in use. Also, you can quickly return to Auria if needed by tapping on the Auria icon.

It seems to me that all music apps should have the ability to work this way and I really hope that this is what you are planning to do.

monotomy

Post by monotomy » 07 Mar 2015, 11:40

Hi Zen,

in the next update I'll add MIDI MMC and MTC support, this should fix the sync issues we have at the moment.

Best