Ableton not rendering the output of B-Step [SOLVED]

Nobody is perfect. Help us to improve B-Step Sequencer and report bugs and problems.
Monoman

Ableton not rendering the output of B-Step [SOLVED]

Post by Monoman » 04 Dec 2014, 03:25

EDIT: See the attachment below for 'working' renders.
Basically use the in host routing and not loopbe1 midi driver. Then what you hear is what you will get in audio export. The only difference is you will not be able to mute individual midi channels 1-4 if you have that set up, as you can with the loopbe1 driver, or rather you can mute them, but the signal is sent to all tracks instead of one. It's confusing. Even to explain. It's to do with how Ableton routes midi to its tracks. For one instance being triggered it makes no difference, mute works fine. I have a template that I will post that enables you to use the loopbe1 routing and you can record that in to Ableton on an Audio Track and mute individual tracks 1-4.

==========================================

EDIT-2: See http://forum.monoplugs.com/viewtopic.php?f=59&t=803
This provides a template to record internally with the loopbe1 midi driver. It is a workaround, but might be useful for some people.

=========================================

I'm probably making a simple mistake and it's probably coz I haven't got my head around things yet, but I am controlling 4 synths from B-Step and it's all working fine, but the audio does not export from the synths at all.

The problem is when I try to render the output of the track to file.

I am triggering 4 synth1 VSTs on separate tracks. I sort of assumed that they would be rendered as normal, but for some reason there is just silence.

I can add another audio track and just record them in there, so it's no big deal. I just wondered what I was doing wrong, or if there is some kind of limitation with this setup.

I have tried it in both Ableton 8 and 9 and it just doesn't work whatever options I change in the render menu. To be clear, I am going 'File>Export Audio' then selecting however many bars.

I have included the file if you want to have a look at it.
Attachments
B-Step_Not_Rendering_To_File.rar
(22.81 KiB) Downloaded 148 times
Last edited by Monoman on 10 Feb 2015, 01:09, edited 1 time in total.

monotomy

Re: Ableton not rendering the output of B-Step

Post by monotomy » 04 Dec 2014, 17:52

Hi Monoman,

just to be sure that i understand you right.
You only have that problem in record mode started from the file menu? If you hit the record button on the Ableton main interface everything is fine?

Tommy
Monoplugs - Unique Music Software

Monoman

Post by Monoman » 06 Dec 2014, 04:30

monotomy wrote:Hi Monoman,

just to be sure that i understand you right.
You only have that problem in record mode started from the file menu? If you hit the record button on the Ableton main interface everything is fine?

Tommy
Yes, I can arm an audio track and record the audio in inside ableton. I just can't render it out to a file: 'File>Export Audio'.

It plays fine inside the program. I'm not talking about any internal recording operations. I select 4 bars or whatever from the render options and no matter what there is no sound output to the file.

Try the track I attached. File> Export Audio. Do you actually get anything audible in your rendered file? My file is totally silent. In both Ableton 8 and 9. FL Studio renders it out properly. Strange.

monotomy

Post by monotomy » 08 Dec 2014, 08:35

Hi Monoman,

I've found a Bug in B-Step: the loop-playback-mode was not handled correctly.
If you like I can send you a test version to check if it fixes the problem with your setup.
Monoplugs - Unique Music Software

Monoman

Post by Monoman » 09 Dec 2014, 04:16

monotomy wrote:Hi Monoman,

If you like I can send you a test version to check if it fixes the problem with your setup.
Yeah. That would be great. I'll give it a go. I assume you have my email, you can send it there. If not, PM me.

I'm having so much fun with this tool. It's really fast to work with. Just so much more manageable and quicker than using an Arp. I'm testing Kirnu Cream at the moment and thinking of buying it. But it just doesn't compare to B-Step. Your plugin is much faster to work with. And a lot more fun!

Thanks.

Monoman

Post by Monoman » 11 Dec 2014, 03:13

The latest build with the colour editor, still does not render the wave file out when exported - it is still total silence.

Monoman

Post by Monoman » 04 Feb 2015, 01:14

This issue has been solved to a large extent. But there are still some things that need to be sorted out. At least now you will be able to render whatever you come up with and hear in Ableton, so really this is a major step forward.

I have included two project files - one with a single track being triggered, and the other with four tracks being independently triggered by B-Step. Both now render properly when you export to audio.

The problem was in the implementation of the driver setup. These versions do not include the loopbe midi driver, which will work perfectly inside Ableton and you can hear sound, but will not export and give a silent file instead.

We're working hard to get a straightforward solution to this and some kind of standardised setup. But different hosts implement midi in different ways. At least for now, if you use the setup in these files, no matter what other problems you might have, your audio will render to file perfectly.
Ableton-Working-Renders.zip
(52.75 KiB) Downloaded 145 times

Monoman

Post by Monoman » 05 Feb 2015, 22:15

There seems to be different behaviour in Ableton depending on the midi routing implementation you use.

The loopbe1 midi driver seems more powerful for live use but won't render/export to audio.

Use the 'in host routing' for when you want to hear the synths you trigger on export.

But if you are just using B-Step to trigger one synth, this is not a problem. It's just when you take advantage of the 4 midi output channels to drive 4 independent synths. It's not really an Ableton problem or a B-Step problem as such, just the way they are working together at the moment.

I'll make sure to make this easier and get a simple setup that works for everyone. You can still trigger 1, 2, 3 or 4 synths though so just play about and tell us how you would like it to work.

obiwan70

Re: Ableton not rendering the output of B-Step [SOLVED]

Post by obiwan70 » 03 Aug 2015, 18:31

hi,
i just downloaded your template,
the problem is each midi channel(vst) receives every note from b step,
not only sequence 1 to midichannel1 , sequence 2 to midichannel 2,...
please help me out here,
i need to render each channel seperate for mixing and mastering.

cheers obiwan70

monotomy

Post by monotomy » 03 Aug 2015, 19:51

Hi Obi, welcome,

I believe you have reached the limits of Abletons MIDI routing possibilities. I'll forward your request to Tim, maybe he has an idea.

Cheers
Tommy

lqud

Post by lqud » 03 Aug 2015, 23:37

Hey Obivan,

ok - I think I'll got your problem... let me see.

you run B-Step in one Midi Track and in the preferences you've chosen "In Host routing" as the Output of B-Step. Further you've selected also "In Host Routing" for the other 3 Outputs. right?

This doesn't work in Ableton live, because it's not possible to select the midi channel with this workaround. And the Midihandling of Ableton Live is a little bit tricky sometimes.
In a normal MIditrack you can chose a Midichannel and filter out the other channels and you can select All channels. If you selected all channels, then Live will NOT recognize anymore if a note is on channel 1 or 2 or somewhat ... Live merges all channels to one channel inside the Miditrack.

If want to setup B-Step with 4 Output channels in Live at the moment, you have to go over an IAC-Bus (Mac) or you have to Download LoopBe from Nerds.de

Hope this helps

Greets Tim

monotomy

Post by monotomy » 04 Aug 2015, 06:42

lqud wrote:If want to setup B-Step with 4 Output channels in Live at the moment, you have to go over an IAC-Bus (Mac) or you have to Download LoopBe from Nerds.de
Thanks Tim!

But, as I know you can only use the IAC workaround for live use/real time. In render mode Ableton ignores external MIDI input.

Anyway: See IAC setup: http://forum.monoplugs.com/viewtopic.php?f=54&t=665&