One more interesting candidate for the future, from mid 2014

Do you miss a sequencer feature or do you have an idea how to improve our sequencer? You're right here - tell us what you want to see in B-Step Sequencer.

monotomy

Re: One more interesting candidate for the future, from mid

Post by monotomy » 31 Mar 2014, 23:03

Crazy guy :-)

The question is: how will be the api, will it come with an api or may be it's only programable with product software.

But looks cool :-)
Monoplugs - Unique Music Software

TonE

Post by TonE » 01 Apr 2014, 09:28

In another video they were mentioning a Lua API, so let us wait. If I can switch the lights quick and comfortable enough from some API, I will buy one, I assume, but I might wait until they open up those switches for other companies, too. It can not take too long.

monotomy

Post by monotomy » 01 Apr 2014, 18:57

Yes we should wait. If you know something more about, let me know. But Lua should be simple, it's callable from C/C++.

TonE

Post by TonE » 02 Apr 2014, 11:08

But assuming we have this rgb-qwerty already, we can start planning how to use which buttons for what? As the function keys are only 12, rather than 16, the 16 buttons have to be used elsewhere. I know and used two forms already:

1. 2 x 8 approach, twice possible, in 4 x 10 matrix space.
a) 12345678 and qwertzui
b) asdfghjk and yxcvbnm,

2. 4 x 4 approach, twice possible, I call those 'quattro-matrix', left-quattro-matrix and right-quattro-matrix.
a) left-quattro-matrix:
qwer
asdf
yxcv

b) right-quattro-matrix:
uiop
jkl'oe'
m,.-

The rest keys can be used to switch among different case/mode options for those matrices. The 12 function keys are available for mode switching, too. I set midi channels using function keys, in one mode. Midi channels 1..12 are possible directly, for the other midi channels 13..16 I use Esc & F1..F4.

monotomy

Post by monotomy » 16 Apr 2014, 21:35

An other point is to use an interpreter between B-Step and the keyboard layout (or the API) - nothing hard coded like the Launchpad feature.

The interpreter loads map data from XML which contains KEY--to--TARGET_FUNCTION entries. So everybody can design a own layout and we provide a standard one.

This will keep the thing simple and we can start thinking about the map during testing the feature.

But your map sounds not bad.

TonE

Post by TonE » 16 Apr 2014, 22:12

If you find a better map, do not forget to tell me. :)

I wished, and proposed rgb mechanical keyboard designers _should_ use 16 function keys, rather than 12, but did not get any replies. So we have to do our best with 12 function keys and still using 16 steps for a bar. For triplets, 12 steps are right.

I like the dual quattro matrix style mostly. You can run two * 16 steps on one 4x10 qwerty matrix. left-quattro-matrix I can switch/shift using 5,t,g,b, and right-quattro-matrix I can switch/shift using 6,z,h,n, so using the center keys for switching each side. When having rgb backlighting this can look cooler, so the purpose of all the rgb leds is only to look cooler, nothing else. Musically they are irrelevant, most times, ok, sometimes they might help here and there a little, but not much.

I use another three keys, print,scroll,pause as super-hierarchy-keys. So from highest hierarchy to lowest:
1. print,scroll,pause
2. f1..f12
3. 4x10 qwerty matrix, sometimes I prefer using only 3x10 matrix and the above number row, 1..0 separately.
4. if you keyboard has a numpad section, those can do other things, too.

Best will be having a solution to control colors and blinking on that Corsair RGB mechanical keyboard, via midi directly or OSC, or both. Finally, yes, XML is good everywhere.