Simpler Rebeca-type-thing - note delays/repeats

Do you miss a sequencer feature or do you have an idea how to improve our sequencer? You're right here - tell us what you want to see in B-Step Sequencer.
borfo

Simpler Rebeca-type-thing - note delays/repeats

Post by borfo » 01 Mar 2014, 05:02

It would be cool to put a rebeca-like thing (from Cythar) into b-step, but it should be easier to use than rebeca is... More user friendly, less confusing. Maybe start with just note repeat controls, and have those affect all of b-step's output. More note effects and automation could be added later.

monotomy

Re: Simpler Rebeca-type-thing - note delays/repeats

Post by monotomy » 10 Apr 2014, 20:47

Sounds good. I still have an idea how to put much more features on the user interface and keep it simple.

Will come with some of the next updates.
Monoplugs - Unique Music Software

TonE

Post by TonE » 15 Apr 2014, 22:33

Check M185 sequencer idea, repeating same step note 1..8 times. Cirklon recently added it, too. Here an example video, how it can sound:

>> OPEN YOUTUBE IN A NEW TAB AND WATCH THIS VIDEO

TonE

Post by TonE » 15 Apr 2014, 23:14

Very simple idea, interestingly, sounds cool. So, we can call this magic. Now we need one more row of parameters for this?

monotomy

Post by monotomy » 15 Apr 2014, 23:32

Or may be a new layer with switches for the bar rotary controller. But i have to watch the video again tomorrow.

TonE

Post by TonE » 16 Apr 2014, 00:05

Or another row under duration and velocity, called 'step repeats'. It would be same as for 'bar repeats', but here repeating steps, not bars, for the amount of times.

If you want to add another crazines dimension. Add one more row there: 'step divisions' for creating Tangerine Dream ratcheting. Both step repeats and step divisions in the range 1..8. A step division of 3 would play instead of one note 3 notes with third duration each.

Then b-step would have Tangerine Dream ratcheting and M185 step repetitions. Two further important reasons to buy it. :)

monotomy

Post by monotomy » 16 Apr 2014, 21:21

That's cool magic!

What do you mean: let us use the duration and velocity rotary controllers for this and only add a shift button for?

TonE

Post by TonE » 16 Apr 2014, 21:58

Yes, possible, why not. Simple gui, powerful results. Or a toggle-shift button. So you can toggle into the other mode and stay there, until you use this button again.

monotomy

Post by monotomy » 16 Apr 2014, 22:07

Yes, toggle-shift.
I like to add these shift-toggle buttons on the left side (like the right "menu" bar for the editor buttons).

TonE

Post by TonE » 16 Apr 2014, 22:18

Then it can look like a hardware machine, for a possible future design. :) Or from tablet/ipad standpoint view, sides are useful places for the thumbs, if you would hold the table like that in your hand. Like playing nintendo, only a little bigger. :D

monotomy

Post by monotomy » 19 Apr 2014, 11:53

The nintendo hint is nice - buttons on the buttom, reachable by the thumbs. I have to think about.

Ok, back to the Rebeca or magic point.

TonE

Post by TonE » 19 Apr 2014, 17:07

Is the magic point difficult to implement, having current code? What is your feeling?

monotomy

Post by monotomy » 19 Apr 2014, 18:18

No, should be easy, but the UI toggle shift things will take some time.

And at the moment I'm working at the iPad release, some new videos and the manual is still v1.0 (Do you like to help again? :-)) -> I'm currently at the Launchpad map graphics and description).

Then the Raspberry Pi version and then I will produce new code. :-)
We have to define the feature list for version 1.3 in the test-area, I will start a thread there soon and let us discuss what the important things are.
At least I like to add this feature and the scales requests from borfo and sondklinik. I think it will be good to devel this two things together. Or what do you mean?

borfo

Post by borfo » 25 Apr 2014, 21:32

You might want to take a look at Thorsten Klose's Midibox Seq V4 - it has a few simple midi effects that could be useful. Maybe a bit hard to explain if you don't have a V4 in front of you to play with. Here's the Midibox Seq V4 page, there are two videos there that show some of the repeat and jump effects:
http://www.ucapps.de/midibox_seq.html

There's another video here that shows some of the midi effects: http://www.ucapps.de/midibox_seq_manual_blm.html

Here's the manual - check out the "FX Echo" and the "track direction page" sections in particular. Echo is pretty straightforward. The track direction page has options that allow you to modify playback of the sequence - you can set up an algorithm that skips over steps, repeats steps, jumps forward or backwards by a few steps... That algorithm moves across the whole sequence, which allows some really interesting variations in playback. There are sound samples on the manual page that help explain the effects.

http://www.ucapps.de/midibox_seq_manual_m.html

Some of those effects are incorporated into the Seq V4Lite as well. There are some sound samples and a video on the V4l page too: http://www.ucapps.de/midibox_seq_lite.html

monotomy

Post by monotomy » 26 Apr 2014, 11:43

This is also a crazy machine! I have to take a deeper look and will check the manual!

borfo

Post by borfo » 26 Apr 2014, 21:22

monotomy wrote:This is also a crazy machine! I have to take a deeper look and will check the manual!

Yeah, it's a great sequencer - the best DIY sequencer out there. I'm almost finished building mine... Very exciting.
Attachments
IMG_20140425_231221 (1).jpg
Seq V4