Midi Drag&Drop, global set velo and duration

Do you miss a sequencer feature or do you have an idea how to improve our sequencer? You're right here - tell us what you want to see in B-Step Sequencer.
sunray

Midi Drag&Drop, global set velo and duration

Post by sunray » 05 Jan 2014, 14:06

Hello

so i start here

My wishes for a future version are:

-Drag&Drop Midi-Files to DAW for each pattern seperate.
-Posibility to set all velocity & duration-controller for all of the 16 steps together.

LG
Sunray

monotomy

Re: Midi Drag&Drop, global set velo and duration

Post by monotomy » 05 Jan 2014, 14:14

Hi Sunray, nice Avatar.
sunray wrote: Drag&Drop Midi-Notes to DAW
I have to take a look how to realize this and which format from DAW's are supported.
If i know more i will give you a feedback.
sunray wrote: Posibility to set all velocity & durationcontroller for all 16 steps together.
I can add a master rotary left of the 16 step rotaries.

LG
Monoplugs - Unique Music Software

TonE

Post by TonE » 06 Jan 2014, 14:37

monotomy wrote:I can add a master rotary left of the 16 step rotaries.
Or using any step button as hold/shift key?

monotomy

Post by monotomy » 10 Jan 2014, 11:23

TonE wrote:
monotomy wrote:I can add a master rotary left of the 16 step rotaries.
Or using any step button as hold/shift key?
But why any step button as shift if we like to change all duration or velocity's together?

TonE

Post by TonE » 28 Jan 2014, 13:05

I have no complete overview of the functionality. The idea is, you use any of the available buttons, which are not used yet for other stuff (as shift key) and using this as a shift key for some new function, like changing all velocity and duration of the pattern.

We need an overview as follows:
a) buttons which are already used as shift keys
b) buttons which are not used as shift keys yet

Then you can put new functionality into group b from above.

monotomy

Post by monotomy » 28 Jan 2014, 14:46

Hey TonE, there a no shift keys at the moment.

TonE

Post by TonE » 28 Jan 2014, 16:03

Yes, I know. :) So you can use any one you wish as shift. It can be any button, no matter what is its original single use function. Holding it, will give it a new function together with another button press and release. As I have no Launchpads I am not sure how those button pressing combinations working there exactly.

Anyway, this is a very fundamental function how buttons, button presses are working or *should* work.

Buttons can work as follows:
a) pressing down a triggers x
b) pressing down (=holding) a, plus releasing a again triggers x
c) pressing down a, plus pressing down b triggers x
d) pressing down a, plus pressing down b, then releasing b again triggers x

This are examples for single button use for a and b. We could even use two or three button cases for a and/or b, but this would complicate things too much for now.

a..d above, has midi note counterparts, pressing down = note on, releasing again = note off. I assume currently cythar or b-step use only case a and c (?), but not the other options?

monotomy

Post by monotomy » 28 Jan 2014, 19:11

TonE wrote:Yes, I know. :) So you can use any one you wish as shift. It can be any button, no matter what is its original single use function. Holding it, will give it a new function together with another button press and release. As I have no Launchpads I am not sure how those button pressing combinations working there exactly.

Anyway, this is a very fundamental function how buttons, button presses are working or *should* work.

Buttons can work as follows:
a) pressing down a triggers x
b) pressing down (=holding) a, plus releasing a again triggers x
c) pressing down a, plus pressing down b triggers x
d) pressing down a, plus pressing down b, then releasing b again triggers x

This are examples for single button use for a and b. We could even use two or three button cases for a and/or b, but this would complicate things too much for now.

a..d above, has midi note counterparts, pressing down = note on, releasing again = note off. I assume currently cythar or b-step use only case a and c (?), but not the other options?
Yes, a is the standard and c is used in the launchpad feature.

Ok, and you mean we should not add new buttons, only some shift functions for that?
How do you think about one global shift button? Keeps the things easy.

Or a global shift + a rotary to choose a shift set :-) ( bit more complex )

IDEA Shift set:
If the global-shift is on, you can e.g. add/select all or some velocity rotary or duration rotary to this set ( the set will be defined/changed by the shift-set-chooser-rotary ). On global-shift release you control all that rotaries by changing one of the selected in this shift set.
So for the reason in this thread we can define a shift-set with e.g. the first, fifths, ninths and thirteen velocity rotary and changing all of this four by changing one of them.
Sounds a bit more like the midi learn feature. :-)

On each set we mark the selected elements with a color or a cycle around.

Is this useful? Sounds crazy for me.

TonE

Post by TonE » 28 Jan 2014, 21:48

Every *action* has to be directly accessible. As this is only software, you can add as many more buttons on the GUI as you want, if your GUI has still enough space and you do not mind cluttering it up with more buttons.

Possibilities are:
1. More buttons, making GUI space bigger.
2. Using pages, then all parameters are not visible. iPhone, iPad kind of software use this method mostly, I suppose.
3. Using shift keys, without adding more buttons. Requires some memory, which shift does what. But powerful after you learned it. Simple GUI, still more powerful than you would expect at first glance.

I would prefer always case 3.

Civa

Post by Civa » 25 Apr 2014, 04:31

Yes, this is almost precisely what I am asking.
With Logic Pro X, there is ultrabeat, and it has a button on the bottom that allows you to drag the midi pattern to the track in the arranger, in order to utilize the actual midi pattern as part of a recorded track.
If you could accomplish something such as this, or even a way to save the midi input that B-Step creates in the sequencer, then these midi inputs can then be essentially "pasted" into the arranger track, allowing for them to then be used as part of the track.

Another good feature would be the ability to use more than one instrument in the sequencer, essentially providing a line for each instrument, however, due to the current design, which places each note as "scale", more or less, I don't see how this is possible.

monotomy

Post by monotomy » 25 Apr 2014, 18:51

Ok,

Scales already on the ToDo.
MIDI File export is on the ToDo not too and also MIDI out for each track/string.

Cheers!